The Derma Roller is also referred to as skin needling (also called skin roller, microneedles roller) combined a modern and natural healing process of facial treatment which is originated from uses about 200 extremely fine needles of medical grade stainless steel. It acts as Collagen Induction Therapy and aimed to stimulating the body’s own collagen production to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, stretch marks, skin laxity and scarring such as that caused by acne or chicken pox.
Derma Rollers come with different sized needles, and choosing the right size for the needle depends on your needs. Here are some of the needle length uses :
- 0.25mm – Increased penetration of skin care products into the skin and overall improvement of skin colour and texture.
- 0.5mm – Wrinkles, anti-aging, light acne scarring, mild chicken pox or ice pick scars, Light cases of stretch marks/cellulite, Hyper Pigmentation (sun-spots), General CIT (Collagen Induction Therapy)
- 1.0mm, 1.5mm – Deep stretch marks, cellulite and deep scarring — 1.5mm is also the maximum needle length recommended for use on your face
- 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm – For more severe cases, deep scars and wrinkles, rejuvenation of badly damaged skin
The treatment introduces a series of fine, sharp needles into the skin. The needles are attached to a single use, sterile roller which is moved over the surface of the skin to create many microscopic channels and/or pinpoint punctures into the epidermis, or the top layer of skin. This damage encourages the body to produce new collagen and elastin which generate new skin cells to repair itself; the skin becomes thicker, plumper and more youthful.
Derma Rollers are supported by clinical studies to be effective and is an ideal solution for non-surgical and non-ablative treatment for a variety of skin conditions, such as aging (fine lines, wrinkles and stretch marks), scarring (acne, surgical) , as well as cellulite and hyperpigmentation.WHAT PROCEDURE INVOLVED, THE RISKS AND SIDE EFFECTS WITH DERMA ROLLER?
Skin preparation with the application of vitamin A and C creams may be recommended for up to 4 weeks prior to the commencement of the procedure. A similar skin care regime may also be recommended for up to 6 months post-treatment which depends on your skin types to aid the healthy production of the new collagen and the rejuvenation of the skin.
A topical anesthetic will be applied before the treatment to reduce any pain and discomfort. It will normally take up to 20 minutes for the anesthetic cream to work and treatment sessions may take between 10 minutes and an hour depending on the size of the area being treated.
The roller is then repeatedly rolled over the skin to produce thousands of micro-medical needle-columns in the skin. Each column will penetrate into the dermis of the skin and will be approximately 0.1mm in width. The column will close rapidly enabling the skin to recover quickly. The procedure is said to be well tolerated and in some cases virtually painless; feeling like a mild prickling sensation. The skin will be pink or red in appearance for a couple of hours following skin needling treatment, much like a sunburn, with some minor bleeding and bruising possible. The skin may also feel warm, tight and itchy for a short while and should normally resolve in 12 – 48 hours. Very much depend on the area of your face or body being treated and the aggressiveness of the procedure, i.e. the length of needles used for the particular indication being treated and the number of times it is rolled across the treatment area.
Risks or side effects are minimal including minor flaking or dryness of the skin, with scab formation in some rare cases. Hyperpigmentation (darkening of certain areas of the skin) can occur very rarely and usually resolves after a month. If you have a history of cold sores, this could possibly flare up after treatment.DERMA ROLLER RECOVERY PERIOD
Redness and skin recovery may take 24 hours or up to a few days. Recovery period depends on the aggressiveness of the treatment, i.e. the length of needles used.
After every single skin rolling session, you should always apply your cream or lotion of choice. The key benefit of skin needling lies in how it opens your skin – the micro-channels allow for deeper penetration and absorption of all your topical products.
A daily skincare regimen, hydrate, soothing mask and occasional maintenance treatments will help you maintain the results.WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DERMA ROLLER?
- For all skin types include darkness skin colour.
- Diminishing signs of aging (wrinkles, fine lines) on face and body.
- Reduces and softens acne or surgical scars.
- Diminishes appearance of cellulite and stretch marks, large pores.
- Smooths heavy pitted skin.
- Helps reverse effects of sun damage.
- Simulates elastin and collagen production, resulting in thicker skin
- Increase serum absorption by as much as 1,000 times.
- There are no known negative side-effects.
- The process stimulates physiological responses.
- It can be used on thin skin, and on all areas of the face, neck and body.
- Complete preservation of the epidermis during the procedure.
- Realignment of old collagen bundles.
- Enhances Iontophoresis and Sonophoresis treatments.
- Irritated or active infected skin.
- Fungal skin infections.
- Severe active acne & rosacea.
- Severe solar keratosis.
- Raised moles and/or warts.
- Open wounds or sores.
- History of abnormal scarring eg Keloid.
- Have used Roaccutane (isotretinoin) within the last 3 months.
- Have open wounds, cuts or abrasions to the skin.
- Have had radiation treatment within the last year.
- Have a current outbreak of herpes simplex (cold sores) or any other infection or chronic skin condition in the area to be treated.
- Are pregnant or breast feeding.
It is very important that you follow the advice carefully after treatment to help make the procedure as successful as possible and to reduce the risk of complications.
Post – treatment advice may include :
- Using tepid or cold water to cleanse the face for the first 48 hours following treatment and drying the area gently without rubbing.
- Ensure your hands are always clean when touching the area treated, to avoid infections.
- Do not applying conventional make-up products to the skin for the first 24 hours following treatment.
- Applying the prescribed skincare products according to the regime specifically designed for you.
- Always use sunscreen. Do not exposing the area treated to the sun without a sunscreen to reduce the risk of disturbing pigmentation in that area. A high factor sun block should be used daily to protect the skin.
- Individuals’ skin is different, so reaction and results may vary. When post-treatment advice is followed, the risks of infection are very low. In case if the area looks infected, experience an unusual discomfort, any other complications develop, or any questions or concerns, PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY.
It can take between 4 – 8 weeks before visible signs of skin regeneration are seen and the process will continue over the following months, providing a gradual enhancement effects.
A single treatment can produce noticeable results, however a program of 5 – 10 treatments spaced 1 – 3 months apart is often recommended to achieve optimum results, in conjunction with an at-home regime.
The specific number of sessions required will depend on the area being treated and the severity of the indication, as well as the level of natural response from the individual’s body.
We would like to invite any client who’s considering this treatment to make an appointment with us for a Free-of-Charge Consultation. During the consultation, our professional therapist will explain the treatment in full and carry out a skin analysis to you. From there we can make a recommendation on the number of treatments we think you may need. We do have a single treatment or package options, to help lower the cost.